Here is another hearty bowl of goodness for you. This stew is pretty quick and simple. It’s easy on the wallet and easy to make since there are only a few ingredients. This is another recipe that is great to make in large batches and keeps well for leftover lunches or suppers.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
- 1/2 cup pot barley
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil
- 1/2 a medium onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 large carrots finely chopped
- 1 cup of yellow split peas
- 1 litre of vegetable broth
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook 1/2 cup of pot barley in 1 1/2 cups of water for 30 to 40 minutes or until water is absorbed and barley is tender.
- In the meantime, heat grape seed oil in a large pot and add onions and garlic. Cook for 2-5 minutes.
- Add chopped carrots, yellow split peas and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 5-10 mins.
- Add cumin, sage, thyme, salt and pepper and keep simmering for 15-20 mins.
- When split peas are tender, stir in the pot barley and let it sit for 5 – 10 mins. Garnish with fresh herbs or salad greens. Enjoy!