Here is my take on the “Oh She Glows” Chickpea Miso Gravy Bowl. This was one of the first recipes from the “Oh She Glows” website that I ever tried and I love it! I started making this dish even before I decided to make the switch over to a plant-based vegan diet and it’s been a staple ever since. I don’t really follow the recipe anymore, and so my version is a little bit different but I must give credit Angela because this is her brain child and I’ve never had anything quite like it before.
Total prep/cooking time : 1 hr
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp pepper or cayenne
- 1/2 tsp Cumin (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric (optional)
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or margarine
- 2 tbsp wholewheat flour
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsbp grapeseed oil
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 10 medium-large white mushrooms (could use brown or portobello instead)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Salad greens
- Chopped green onion
- Begin by preheating the oven to 400 degrees celsius. Cook 1 cup of quinoa in 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and leave covered for 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Cut one large sweet potato (or yam) into 1 cm think medallions. Put in a mixing bowl and coat with oil, garlic salt and pepper, or your preferred spices. Lay onto a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, flipping them half way through.
- Melt margarine with a small sauce pan on low heat. Stir in flour to make a roux. Add in miso paste and water and stir until smooth. Bring up to medium heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat or keep on low.
- Heat grapeseed oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add minced garlic to pan and cook until slightly golden brown. In the meantime, slice 10 white mushrooms and add them to the pan. Pour in the balsamic vinegar and cover for 5 – 10 minutes until the mushrooms have reduced. Remove from heat.
- To assemble put a handful of salad greens in a bowl and top with 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa. Add a 3 or 4 sweet potato medallions and a couple of spoonfuls of the tangy mushrooms. Drizzle some miso gravy on top and garnish with some green onion. Enjoy!