James and I eat overnight oats pretty much every single morning. I’ve been doing this for what seems to be the better part of a year now, and truth be told, I’m not sick of it yet! James is a little more creative than me when it comes to his breakfast. I’m fine just having pretty much the same oats everyday, but he likes to vary it. He was inspired to make something totally different: Blueberry Chai oats. He looked on the ingredients list to one of our Chai tea bags to get all the spices to create his spice blend. We had it a few days ago and it was delicious! I’m home on a Saturday morning and decided to try making it myself with my steel cut oats that I tend to cook up when I have some extra time.
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- pinch of ground ginger
- pinch of ground cloves
- 1/4 cup frozen blueberries (*fresh blueberries would be ideal if you can get them when they’re in season…although I do love how the frozen berries turn everything purple!)
- 1 ripe banana
- 2-3 tbsp sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond milk to pour on top
- Cook steel cut oats in a small sauce pan with water and almond milk. Bring to a boil, then let simmer on med/low heat for 15 minutes – stirring occasionally.
- Assemble your spice blend: put all the spices in a small bowl and mix together
- Once your oats are cooked, you are ready to assemble your porridge. Pour oats into a big serving bowl and sprinkle half of the spice blend onto the oats. Then add the toppings (chia seeds, sliced almonds, sliced banana and most importantly the frozen blueberries). Sprinkle the rest of the spice blend on top of your fruit. Drizzle with maple syrup and top off with some more almond milk. Et voila! Breakfast is served, enjoy!