I decided to try Vegan Bounty Bars from the Happy Pear. I highly recommend checking out their Youtube channel for fantastic, quick vegan recipes. These chocolates are super decadent and are great for hot summer days when you want a sweet treat. I made these in the evening when it had already cooled off, as you do have to use the stove top for a couple of minutes. These chocolates keep really well in either the fridge or the freezer and I highly recommend trying them. But I must warn you, they won’t last long! 😉
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooling time: 30 mins
Makes about 20 small chocolates or 10 small bars
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Add melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to a medium mixing bowl and stir together.
- Add in shredded coconut and almond meal and mix until all of the coconut is coated with the maple-coconut oil mixture. It should form a crumbly dough-like consistency
- Prepare a baking sheet with some parchment paper. Dump the coconut mixture onto the pan and press it down with your hands until it forms an even layer about 1 inch thick. Try to form it into a square – the Happy Pear lads used the edge of a knife to get straight edges, but I just used my hands. You want it to be square so that it will be easy to cut into bars or squares later.
- Put into the freezer for about 20 mins to firm up.
- While the coconut base is in the freezer, melt your chocolate chips. You can do this over low heat in a sauce pan, stirring frequently. Or use the “bain marie” method to ensure the chocolate does not burn. Boil water in a small sauce pan and place a heat resistant bowl over top the pan with your chocolate chips in the bowl. Stir occasionally and remove from heat when the chocolate chips are completely melted.
- Once the coconut base has been in the freezer for 20 mins, cut in to small bars or squares. I cut mine into about 20 squares.
- Cover each square with melted chocolate. I used a spoon to pour over top and I even dipped the bottom of some of the squares as well. I used quite a lot of chocolate on the first ones by accident so I didn’t end up having quite enough for the last couple squares.
- Put in the freezer again for about 10 mins so that the chocolate solidifies. Store in the fridge or the freezer.