It’s been a while since I’ve baked anything because it’s been pretty hot out, so I didn’t want to use the oven. We have a few days of rain ahead of us, and cooler weather, so I decided to take advantage and indulge my sweet tooth. I was craving some chocolate and I had a few bananas that really needed to be used up so I started brainstorming. This recipe is quite easy. It’s a cross between banana bread, brownies and cake. Initially I wanted to make chocolate icing but I actually didn’t have enough icing sugar so it turned into more of a glaze. I made a chocolate-coconut glaze because coconut compliments both chocolate and banana really well. In the photos you will see only about half of the cake left because James and I already ate some of it… and I must admit… I ate some more this morning… Not the healthiest choice, but we’ve all had cake for breakfast, at least once in our lives, right?
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Use 9×9 baking dish
- 2 very ripe mashed bananas
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup of brown rice flour
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
Chocolate Coconut Glaze:
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp almond-coconut milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 9×9 square baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, add all of the wet ingredients: mashed bananas, maple syrup, cane sugar, and coconut oil and mix until well-combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients: brown rice flour, wholewheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the medium mixing bowl and mix well to create the cake batter. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the 9×9 baking dish and use a spatula to spread the batter evenly throughout the pan.
- Bake for 45 mins. Remove from heat and let cool for 30 mins.
- While cake is cooling, make the chocolate coconut glaze. In a small mixing bowl, add icing sugar, coconut oil, vanilla extract, non-dairy milk, cocoa powder and mix together. This mixture will be quite liquidy (that’s ok). Stir in the shredded coconut.
- When the cake has cooled, pour the glaze over top of the cake.
- Refrigerate for 30 mins, and then serve. You can keep the cake in the refrigerator for a few days, or freeze to store for longer. Enjoy!