While I was baking the Banana Brownie Cake, I decided to prepare our overnight oats. The apple compote is very simple to make, it just takes a little bit of time. This recipe is refined sugar-free, dairy-free, gluten-free and 100% plant-based. Of course, overnight oats are very simple, customizable and can be made in 5 mins or less. I’d highly recommend making overnight oats for busy mornings. My favourite thing about eating overnight oats is that it keeps me full for a long time and I feel great after I eat it; my blood sugar and energy levels are steady; no spiking then crashing after this meal.
Cook time: 20 mins
Prep time: 10 mins
- two apples – I used Gala, cut into 1 inch pieces (I did not peel my apples, but if you prefer a smooth applesauce, peel the apples, and then dice them)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups of non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
*Note: You don’t need to use all of these ingredients; these are just what I like to add to my overnight oats. I use a lot of seeds to make sure I get a lot of healthy fats, proteins, as I am 100% plant-based. Please add, or omit ingredients to make it convenient and delicious for you. The great thing about overnight oats is that it is totally customizable, so enjoy experimenting until you find something that works for you.
- In a small saucepan, add the chopped apples, lemon juice and cinnamon and simmer on medium/low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until the apples can be easily mashed with a fork (about 20 mins).
- Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to continue mashing. Mash until you have your desired texture; I prefer to keep a few apple chunks in tact, rather than having smooth applesauce.
- Pour oats, hemp, flax, and chia seeds, raisins, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a medium bowl. Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Pour the non-dairy milk and the maple syrup over the oats mixture.
- Transfer to two separate containers or serving dishes and top with apple compote.
- Refrigerate overnight. It is ready to serve in the morning, enjoy!