Salad Rolls are the perfect summer dinner when you’re looking for something fresh, relatively quick and requiring virtually no cooking. We love to make these on a Friday or Saturday night since it’s easy to put together and is a nice treat at the end of the week. The ingredients in this recipe are completely customizable, which is another great thing about salad rolls; you can experiment and sub in any ingredients that strike your fancy. You could also incorporate some cooked ingredients like sautéed mushrooms or baked tofu. You could also customize your own sauce by using different types of nut or seed butters
Prep time : 15 mins
Assembly time : 15 mins
Makes 8 salad rolls
- Rice paper wraps
- 2 single serving bundles of bean thread noodles or 1/2 packet of rice vermicelli noodles
- 1/2 large carrot
- 1 mini cucumber or 1/3 English cucumber
- 1 mango (I used Ataulfo mango)
- 1 handful of spinach
- 2 stalks of green onion
- 4-5 fresh mint leaves and basil leaves roughly chopped
- 1/2 package of Soyganic smoke detector Tofu Garlic Pepper flavour
- 2 tbsp all natural peanut butter (or whatever nut/seed butter you prefer)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (*or sub in coconut aminos or Braggs liquid aminos to make it GF)
- 1 tbsp hot sauce or chilli paste (adjust to suit your taste)
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp applecider vinegar
- 1 – 2 tbsp cold water (optional
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Prepare your vegetables. Cut 1/2 large carrot and mini cucumber into small thin strips.
- Cut the flesh of the mango into 1 inch cubes.
- Wash the spinach and roughly chop into strips.
- Dice the green onion.
- Cut the smoked Tofu into 1 inch cubes or thin strips depending on what you prefer.
- Cook the glass noodles in boiling water for 2-3 minutes and then drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Prepare a large mixing bowl with warm water.
- Soak one sheet of rice paper for about 4 minutes.
- Remove rice paper from the water and lay it on a plate to prepare the salad rolls.
- Add another sheet of rice paper to soak in the warm water while you prepare the salad roll.
- Start assembly the salad roll: lay a small handful of the carrots, and cucumber in the middle of the rice paper.
- Add 4-5 cubes of mango and Tofu.
- Top with a bit of spinach, green onion, mint and basil.
- Finally add 1/8 of the glass noodles on top.
- Try to keep all the ingredients in the middle of the paper forming the shape of the roll
- Roll the rice paper as you would a burrito. Fold the top and the bottom of the rice paper and then take the right side of the rice wrap over the ingredients and roll the wrap. Try to wrap it tightly.
- If the rice paper breaks, you can double wrap it with another sheet of rice paper.
- Repeat until you’ve used up all of the ingredients – should be about 8 large salad rolls.
- To make the peanut sauce, simply add peanut butter, soy sauce, hot sauce, maple syrup, and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Whisk in 1-2 tablespoons of cold water so that the sauce is not so thick.
- Top with sesame seeds. Enjoy!