What do you think about when you think about a summer meal? Maybe you think of delicious fresh salads, beautiful fruit that’s in season, and of course ice cream! But don’t you also think about eating a delicious burger? Maybe corn on the cob? and what about potato salad? It’s a summer staple, am I right? Now potato salad might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I am one of those weirdos who have always liked it. And when it’s made with farmer’s market fresh veggies, it is nothing to turn your nose up at. Throw in some smoked tofu, green onions, and seedy mustard and you’ve got yourself one tasty dish to accompany any summer dinner.
- 4 – 5 medium yellow potatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 – 2 stalks of green onion
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1/2 block of smoked tofu
- 2 tbsp vegenaise
- 1 tbsp seedy mustard
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp water
- Salt and pepper
Other delicious veggies to add or replace the ones listed above:
- green pepper
- cherry tomatoes
*I would highly recommend buying all these veggies from the farmers market (especially the potatoes); it makes such a big difference in the taste
- Cut the potatoes into 1 inch cubes and boil them for about 8 – 10 minutes or until tender. Check them with a fork a few times to make sure not to over boil them. You want to be able to pierce them with a fork but not to completely fall apart.
- Strain the potatoes and rinse them with cold water. Set aside in a medium mixing bowl to cool while you prepare the other veggies.
- Dice the red pepper, I like to cut them up small but if you prefer larger chunks, go with that.
- Thinly slice the green onions from the tip of the stalk to the white bit at the end to get the most flavour.
- Thinly slice the celery.
- Cut the smoked tofu into cubes that are about 1 cm thick and 2 cm long.
- Add the veggies and the tofu to the bowl with the potatoes
- In a small bowl, add the veganaise, mustard, and applecider vinegar and mix together. At this point, the dressing will be quite thick, stir in 1 – 2 tsp of water to get a thinner consistency, so that it is easier to mix in with the veggies.
- Pour over top of your salad and mix thoroughly so that all of the veggies and potatoes are evenly coated with dressing.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!