Acorn squash! Apples! Ginger! Soup! Does it get more autumnal than all of these put together!? Pumpkin spice you say? Yeah, yeah, ok, well, you’ve got something along that line coming up in a few days… But for now here is a tasty, sweet and spicy soup to boost your immune system and to comfort you on these cooler, crisper autumn days.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- Thumb-sized nub of ginger minced
- 1/2 thumb-sized nub of turmeric root (or use 1 tsp of ground turmeric)
- Two large carrots
- Half a medium sized Macintosh apple
- 2.5 – 3 cups of acorn squash purée
- 1 litre of vegetable broth
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat and add onions and cook for five minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger, and turmeric and cook for 3 minutes.
- Slice the carrots into small pieces. Add to the pot with 1/4 cup of vegetable broth and cook covered for 5 minutes to soften the carrots.
- Peel and dice the apple and add to pot.
- Add in the acorn squash and the remaining vegetable broth and let simmer for 15 – 20 mins.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender or pour into a high speed blender and blend until smooth.