This is the FIRST salad recipe on my blog, why? Because I don’t really like salad…
That isn’t totally true, I actually DO like salad, once I’m eating it, but I rarely WANT to eat it. I was inspired to step up my salad game when I saw the Kale Crunch Salad in vegan chef Chloe Coscarelli’s cookbook Chloe Flavor. Sadly, I had to return that book to the library and didn’t write down the recipe, so my recipe is VERY loosely based on her’s. Actually, the only real similarities are the fact that it’s a kale salad with marinated tempeh. James had made the Rainbow Salad in Chloe’s book last week, and it was delicious! I would highly recommend checking out this cookbook if you’re looking for simple, tasty vegan recipes! I liked that most of them seemed very accessible, not too heavy on prep time or ingredients. As for the recipe I’m about to share, it’s fairly quick and easy, although potentially a little ingredient heavy. This is my first time using liquid smoke since we found it at the grocery store a few weeks ago. It does add a nice depth of flavour, but the marinated tempeh would still be delicious without it, so you can omit the liquid smoke if you don’t have it or can’t find it at your local grocery store. Same goes for the smoked paprika – the “smokiness” just adds a nice depth, but regular paprika is fine if that’s what you’ve got. This salad is colourful, flavourful, filling and delicious! Hope you enjoy 🙂
- 1 package of tempeh (approx. 200g)
- 1 small head of cauliflower
- 1 tsp grape seed oil (or any neutral cooking oil)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- Salt to taste
- 1 bunch of kale (approx 4 cups)
- 1/2 head of small purple cabbage
- 1 tsp chili paste *you can use crushed red chili peppers if you don’t this, or sub in hot sauce.
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp Sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- Liberal sprinkling of sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk all the ingredients for the marinade together in a small bowl
- Cut the block of tempeh into 1/4 inch slices then cut all the slices in half, width wise.
- Place the tempeh slices onto a large plate and pour the marinade over top. Let it sit while you prepare the cauliflower.
- Cut the cauliflower head into bite-sized florets.
- Place them on a baking sheet and drizzle grape seed oil over top, then sprinkle on the smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne and salt. Mix the florets around to coat evenly in the oil and spices. Bake in the oven for 20 mins, flipping them half way through.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, cook the tempeh slices for approx. 5 minutes on each side, until they are browned and crispy.
- While the tempeh and the cauliflower are cooking, de-stem the kale and rip into bite-sized pieces. Massage the kale with a bit of oil and salt and pepper until it is tender.
- Cut the cabbage into thin slices or shred it and toss with the kale.
- Make the dressing by whisking the sesame oil and rice vinegar together.
- Add the cooked tempeh and cauliflower to the kale and cabbage. Top with the dressing and sesame seeds. Toss and serve. Enjoy!